Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Oh, Dallas

Here's a pretty good sign that I've been oblivious to my surroundings since I moved to Dallas a couple of years ago.

That picture of Dallas in the previous entry? Seriously, it was the exact picture that was used in a trivia night at this bar a few friends and I went to while I was in LA last month. It was part of a line of questions where you had to identify the skylines of various world cities, and I couldn't identify it -- it being the city I've lived in for the last 28 months.

That picture features buildings that are literally one or two blocks from where I work. So I'm either oblivious or in the advanced stages of senility.

To be fair, none of the other guys knew what it was either. Neither did our waitress. We tried to sneak a few answers out of her, not because she was bright or anything but because she looked like Pam from "The Office," cardigan, white sneakers, wavy hair and all. She told us to write down Beijing. She also told us to write down Singapore for what actually turned out to be the New Orleans skyline. Right.

The weird thing is, I actually recognized the septor-shaped tower in the skyline -- that's the Reunion Tower, which is adjacent to the hotel I stayed at while I interviewed for my job here. When I first moved here, I'd mention that tower whenever people asked me where I worked -- "in Downtown Dallas ... you know, like, next to that tower that's shaped like a septor?" Nobody, not even the people who've lived here forever, knew what I was talking about. It's not a major landmark or anything. In fact, I think it's just a tower that has a rotating restaurant and bar up top. Not exactly the Empire State Building.

Not that it matters -- we weren't winning anyway because we arrived late and missed the first round -- but I probably should have been able to identify that skyline. Maybe I just didn't believe a city like Dallas deserved to be called a "major world city." New York, sure. San Francisco, sure. Chicago, Tokyo and Toronto, yeah, OK. But Dallas? It's probably the 40th or 50th city I'd name if you asked me to name a world city.

And I live here.

0 comments: