Thursday, March 23, 2006

If I may be permitted a knee-jerk reaction here, I think I just saw one of the most thrilling finishes in recent sports history. Forget the Rams-Titans Super Bowl or that overrated Aaron Boone home run that my friend Nirm never got to see because he was watching The Amanda Bynes Show. UCLA-Gonzaga was 10 times for dramatic.

Maybe I'll change my mind when I wake up in the morning, but this game really grabbed me by the balls tonight. It was more than just the frantic ending -- the steals, the turnovers, the 11-0 run in the final minutes. This game had man tears, mustachioed-man tears, and those go a long way toward coloring one's opinion.

Don't ask. I don't know why Adam Morrison's emotional breakdown after the game affected me so much. Ordinarily, I agree -- crying in men's sports is absolutely unacceptable. I didn't have much of a reaction at the end of the 2004 NBA Finals, when Derek Fisher and Kobe teared up like girls after the Lakers lost to the Pistons. I actually think I might have laughed when I saw this. But I felt sick for Morrison when he collapsed to the floor in tears tonight.

I'll sleep on it. I'm in no condition to make comparative assessments right now, and the fact that I'm empathizing with a grown man crying because he lost a basketball game speaks volumes.

0 comments: